Tuesday, April 20, 2010

He who does not read will forever be a child--CICERO

I felt i was the only one...i read an article of this writer who said he read the whole encyclopedia

from A to Z. actually quite a few have admited it. So did i, i felt better now, knowing i was not the only nutcase out there. Not because of what i did but because of the age i did it. I was 10. I did it because i was bored, and it was fascinating to absorb new information. World book and the brittanica 1953 edition, these tomes have a lot more than the newer ones, far more. Anyway

i did well in school. I also read all of our school books that we had to buy ahead of time. I knew

i was different because the other kids would be involved in growing up and playing, so was i- but

how could you not see the value in shaving off all the time wasted in reports, essays, exams, quizzes and reading. I breezed thru most of it, except math, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when i remember the mental anguish created by my inability here. Seeing now how knowledge can enhance your life, i read everything i could get my hands on. Ignorance creates fear because you walk around wondering about things you dont understand and you distance yourself from others who do. I read all of the following from 1965 and on.

national geographic-time-life-readers digest-scientific american-science-popular mechanics
and similar reading material but in spanish, my second language. As an antique dealer in new york and hawaii i would never sell auction lots of old books without reading them all first.
I once had a lot of almost every issue of life- look-popular mechanics- st.nicholas(pre-boys life)
They were from 1938 to 1946, hundreds of them- i read them all and had quite an education, which actually enhanced my sales career, as it made me more knowledgeable in many areas
and i had a better "connect" with the older generation. I also read tons of journals from the A.M.A. -the lancet- and very weird collections of political,religious, and esoteric thought, some from the 16oo's and on. Speed reading also helps a lot-take a speed reading course, contrary to popular belief you actually enjoy the reading more. I used to be a pack rat, antique dealers have to be, but i lost or sold some books i wish i had kept. One that comes to mind is 1000 and 1
inventions by thomas edison and alexander graham bell--how to make fake gold-how to make a battery out of a lemon-how to make fire with ice only--great book. Before i went to college my mother had money and time to kill so she opened an occult book store in phoenix in 1974.
As i mentioned she had the money-books from almost every country and every topic-at least 2000 books. Yes i read them all. I have the privilege to read lit. in spanish as well. Another
collection i had to sell was a strange box given to every member of a cult in the 1920's in the desert of california where they wore conical hats and lived in conical houses and the box had
aluminum center records with chants and so on-this cult evolved into (this info. is on a need to know basis and you dont need to know)

Anyways it pays to read. the internet has saved me a lot of money-in the 80's i think i was spending $300 a month at least, now i have free reading material....remember that commercial

of the guy up late at night with bags under his eyes and the computer says WARNING---YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE INTERNET!! i dread the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment