Tuesday, April 20, 2010

How i got into the time share business PART 2

I was intrigued by the offer so i showed up to this fancy King street office in honolulu. A secretary scoffed at me and told me i was not a fit there. Then this guy casually interviews me, turns out he was the real estate president for hawaii. Another guy asks me questions- he was the lawyer, then the c.pa. After scoping me out for an hour they parade me in to mr E's office like i had never met him before- im standing in front of his desk with these 3 guys behind me and i felt the power he had over everyone- then he asks do you drink alcohol? well i have a beer once in a whi--I DONT WANT ANY ALCOHOLICS HERE!! he blurts cutting me off, and if you want to work here i want an abstract before noon. ceremoniously i am paraded back out and past an office doorway where 12 desks with bean counters are enjoying all of this. I can tell from the 3 faces that events unfolding are not in my favor. Whats an abstract i asked? the japanese lawyer said -you have go to the police dept. and get proof of your driving record, criminal etc. most of what you need to get bonded for a sensitive job. This is a test i thought to myself, and im about to call it off but this guy has really rattled my chain and i am being challenged, because first of all it was 10:30 and a normal person- it would take a day or two traffic included, if youve driven around hotel st. in downtown honolulu you know the daunting task ahead of me. in addition to this it is 1978 there were no computers or high speed anything this was the the age of triplicate forms and carbon copies. Since i had been a mechanic before and serviced gov. accounts, i called a police friend-customer for help. I can do this and this and you owe me bra (means brother in hawaii) but downtown is another matter, youre on your own there-this is japanese territory.

later sometime i will explain cultural hiearchies in hawaii civil and gov. getting back to the story

i have less than 2hrs to do all this and most is being done by a portoguese friend(many immigrated there) I run at least 3 red lights, break speed limits and double park in front of a gov. building go up the stairs in the lobby and lucky me its almost empty- of course it is -its lunch hour! theres a guy there leaving the reception desk, i plead with him to retrieve what i need-he has the sympathy of a ww2 suicide plane- i offered to buy dinner for his whole family

at the wisteria (5-star rest.) he pulls out a badge and says he can arrest me for bribery!! PLAN B

i blame it all on an evil haole (white man-mr.e)use child psychology on his ass by stating the portoguese are helping me as we speak down at hpd and isnt it what its all about helping each other? please mister i need this job-plus i still get rims and tires at 40% off at tire wharehouse!

can you get e.t. rims? those i get for free! not so but i will deal with this later-miracle i didnt get a collection of tickets plastered to my windshield or towed away and i made it back to the office

right after 12 and ran into mr.e coming out of the elevator with his entourage and presented the papers to him-these are fake he says nobody could have done all this in an hour and a half and i dont believe you dont have traffic offences either-- $1000 dollars bet on it- he wouldnt and he looked me in the eyes for just a second---i passed the test with flying colors. he told his lawyer take him up and turn everything over to him. the lawyer was visibly upset as they had been on their way in a rolls royce to the most expensive restaurant (michelles) and he was going to be left behind. but more importantly he had reservations about my performance and im pretty sure he checked me out later. in the office i was handed the keys to 3 waikiki penthouses, 3 buildings and keys to 4 cars. and a pager and a credit card. you have an important job, most people cant do it, i dont know where he found you but if you mess up consider the state of hawaii
off limits for you forever.the 12 desks with the bean counters reflected their thoughts insofar as their faces were concerned as to wether i would make it. later in las vegas this same lawyer and i witnessed a most amazing
event that took me 23 years to figure out and im sure he will never forget it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment